The Backup Job is used to save MicroScan job settings to an archive, to transfer the settings to another machine, or to save the settings for backup purposes.
- Click on Backup Job Settings on the Setup Tools screen
- Click on Backup Setup Files on the Tools Menu.
To Make a Backup
In Backup To, specify the location of the backup.
This would be A: for a floppy,
or c:\microscan\backup to backup to the local hard disk.
or \\computername\c\dirname for a server.
The Backup To contains several locations for each drive found on the pc, such as C:\MicroScan Backup, D:\MicroScan Backup and also C:\installdir\Backup.
The folder specified will be automatically created for the backup.
Click OK to start the backup.
The software will build a list of files from the files in the microscan install folder and the files in the jobs setup folder, and then put the files in to the archive.
A Message is displayed to indicate the backup has been completed.
- The archive name has the following form
jobname Setup dd mmm yyyy.zip.
dd=day of month
- If the backup is made to a floppy, the backup extension changes from .zip to .001.
It then changes to .002, .003 etc as each new floppy is used.
You may be prompted to reinsert disks as the backup proceeds.
Files with .001, .002 cannot be opened and read with Winzip.
To Backup Options.
Click on Options to change Backup settings. See Backup Options.
Once you have made changes, you can click Close to exit from the Backup dialog box.
To Make a Restore Point
A Restore Point is a backup made to the jobs backup folder.
It can be used to go back to at a later date using Rewind on the Restore Job dialog box.
See Job Rewind (in your help centre MicroScan help file)
To create a Restore Point, that can later be used to rewind back to, click “Restore Point”.
Click Yes on the confirmation dialog.
Then the backup will be created on the local hard disk, in the backup folder of the current job.
- Please note that a restore point does is not a guaranteed backup for the MicroScan.
The hard disk of the computer running MicroScan can fail, meaning the data in the backup folder cannot be accessed.
The only true backup is one kept off the machine, either on floppy, CD or on a server.
- Version 4 MicroScan Setup Manager, Tools Restore cannot read a backup generated by Version 5.
- The archive is a zipped backup. It can be viewed with winzip if it has the zip extension.
- The backup is called .zip if it is backed up to a server, or local hard disk.
- The backup should be done to a new formatted floppy disk.
If the disk is full, delete files on the floppy first before using it for a backup.
The backup is called .001 if it is done on a floppy.
For each additional floppy needed, the backup will be called .002, .003 etc.
Label each floppy such as “Micro Scan Backup 001, 002, 003” etc, as they will be needed in correct order to restore the data from.