Mercotac Rotating Electrical Connectors operate on a superior principle to Slip Rings. They offer an extremely low-resistance electrical connection because the conduction path is a liquid metal which is molecularly bonded to the contacts. The Mercotac connection is constant and unchanged for the life of the connector.
Mercotac Rotating Electrical Connectors use a unique design principle unlike the sliding, brush contact of a slip ring. The connection is made through a pool of liquid metal molecularly bonded to the contact, which provides a low-resistance, stable connection. During rotation the fluid maintains the electrical connection between the contacts without any wear.
The following are among the many reasons why Mercotac connectors are superior to slip rings:
- Unlike a slip ring, Mercotac connectors produce near zero electrical noise due to their unique design.
- Resistance through the rotating contact is less than one milliohm, which is much lower than the resistance of a slip ring.
- Mercotac connectors do not degrade the signal over time, which does happen with slip rings.
- Slip rings require maintenance and Mercotac connectors are maintenance free.
- Mercotac connectors are more compact and cost far less than slip rings of equal capacity.
- Both current power and instrumentation signals can be sent through a single, compact Mercotac connector.