MicroScan V5.1 Installation Software Area:
Technical details on MicroScan V5.1 Operation (System Requirements):
MicroScan is a Windows desktop application designed to run on a Workstation PC as a single user application in a single user account logged on 24x7. It is not a service.
MicroScan V5.1 runs on:
Windows 10 (be aware of Windows Updates being automatic, including restart of the PC - see below under Operational Details > 3. Windows Update)
Windows 8.1/8 (MicroScan does not function as a Metro app)
Both x64 and x86 (or 64-bit and 32-bit) platforms are supported (not all PLC interfaces are compatible).
Hardware requirements are as required for Windows. At least 4GB RAM is recommended.
Must be clean installs and not upgrades from a previous version of Windows.
MicroScan will NOT run on:
Any version of Windows running in a Virtual Desktop (as USB devices are not supported).
Thin Clients (Remote Desktop Connection / Terminal Server).
Windows 10 S / RT (as software cannot be installed).
Windows XP Mode running on Windows 7 Virtual PC.
Windows Vista (Microsoft ended support in April, 2017).
Windows XP (Microsoft ended support in April, 2014).
Windows 2000 (Microsoft ended support in July, 2010).
Windows NT 4.0, ME, 98, 95, 3.1. Microsoft DOS.
Operating systems other than Windows (e.g. Linux, iOS, Mac OS, Android, etc).
- Up to 100 MB of hard disk space is required for the install, with extra space for store files and log files.
- USB ports (Standard size) x3 recommended:
- 1x USB port for dongle locking of software.
- 1x USB port for 2400-IS - Isolated Auto-Detecting USB/RS232 to RS485/422/232 Converter.
- 1x USB port for using USB flash drive.
- If changing computers, 1x Serial Port DB9 for 2100-IS, or use 2400-IS via USB connection instead.
- Ethernet port for connection to Network and Internet (if required).
- CD ROM drive (if software is supplied on CD), or download via the link below.
- Screen Size 1024x768 VGA or higher (800x600 VGA minimum). The software is not designed for operation on 640x480 VGA.
- As with any critical IT system, the use of a UPS device is strongly recommended.
- Please note that the typical life expectancy for PC’s working 24x7 is 3 to 5 years.
Operational Details: - Important information to help ensure successful use of MicroScan SCADA.
- Communications with Remote Stations/Controllers:
- Only use MicroScan via an onboard serial port/PCI card, or via 2400-IS which uses the Silabs USB chip set.
- Use of USB Comms converters other than the 2400-IS will not be supported by Intech.
- Alternatively use via Ethernet TCP/IP network to -NET type stations.
- User Management:
- Run MicroScan only as a single user.
- Read/Write access is required to the C:\MicroScan folder and all sub folders (or the location where MicroScan has been installed to).
- Do NOT Log off out of Windows on the workstation when MicroScan is running.
- Windows Update:
- Set Windows Update to notify before updates are installed.
- Only install Windows updates when IT support is present, to ensure that the computer restarts and MicroScan resumes operation correctly.
- On Windows 10, Microsoft have removed the ability to prevent updates being installed automatically:
- Windows 10 before the Anniversary Update (build prior to 1607), should be set to 'Notify to schedule restart'.
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update (build 1607+), 'Active Hours' is the only option available to help prevent restarts happening at an inconvenient time:
- Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and then select Change active hours.
Choose the start time and end time for active hours, and then select Save.
- Also use the option to Automatically finish setting up PC after update:
- Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options, and then select the check box next to Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update.
- Set MicroScan to automatically start when Windows starts under Setup Tools > Program Startup - "Startup" area.
MicroScan Auto start:
- Turn off the Windows standby function: set to never.
- If MicroScan needs to be setup as "auto start", use the following settings:
- When setting MicroScan to "auto start", setup as "Administrator".
- When "auto start" is not required, setup as "Standard User".
- Exclude the C:\MicroScan (or the location where MicroScan has been installed to), folder and all sub folders from being scanned.
- Exclude the C:\MicroScan\mscanv5.exe and C:\MicroScan\driver.exe files from being scanned.
Third Party Backup Tools:
- The Active (SCADA Server) and Passive (SCADA client) can support loss of Server shared drive, will notify of error and attempt auto reconnect at set intervals.
- Shared MicroScan’s are supported via networking mode, sharing data on a file server, each user has their own copy of MicroScan installed on a PC setup to look at the shared files. Networking is done via shared files only, not TCP/IP connections.
- Do not use folders within the C:\MicroScan folder system to share data.
- Do not use a WAN network (i.e. server based offsite or in a different city).
Please carefully check any MicroScan startup screens advising of improper folder access to key MicroScan folders if they appear.
Use the 2400/2100 station Comms time out relay to notify of no Comms activity via autodialier.
If using the 2100-IS Comms converter - Use the audible alarm relay to notify of no Comms activity.
Do not store MicroScan store data directly on a server. Store on the workstations local hard disk and use Netcopy (included with MicroScan), to copy the data to the server.
Keep regular offsite backups of your MicroScan setup to ensure the system can be rebuilt in a prompt manner. The Intech install CD (or this web download), does not include your site system settings.
- Ensure that any Backup programs start at 12:05am and are NOT running at 12:00am (which is the time of the MicroScan file rollover).
Download Now MicroScan Software Version 5.1 - 61.3MB - Dec 11, 2013 - (Bld 3280)
Note: Intech Auckland Customers (using the Black DLP-D dongle) - please contact their office before proceeding.
View MicroScan V5 Online Help Manual
Note: The MicroScan V5 Help Manual is automatically installed with MicroScan V5.1
Download MicroScan V5 Getting Started Manual
MicroScan Tool Box Installation - 16.4MB - Dec 5, 2008
MA5 (Mobile Alarming 5) Installation - 3.1MB - Sep 21, 2010
Download Now Batch Viewer5 Installation - 12MB - Dec 13, 2005